Don’t let those coals go to waste after grilling dinner. Make grilled apricots for dessert and top them with fresh whipped cream and almond slivers.
For me, this is the most wonderful time of the year! With fresh fruits abundant in the farmer’s markets, it’s a great time to dig in and make some fantastic fruit desserts. Last year I commented somewhere that I had never had a fresh apricot. Dried ones, yes! I love them and have them often. But I had never had a fresh one. So, to alleviate that discrepancy, I bought a huge tray of them from Costco to enjoy. I grilled about half the bunch and used them to make ice cream. It was fantastic!
Grilling fruit isn’t rocket science. I’ve grilled peaches and pineapples as well.
I think that it all comes down to the toppings. Chocolate,Caramel, and Honey are always good toppings. So are nuts, crunchy candies and whipped cream.
So, I decided to go with a pretty simple topping of sweetened whipped cream, some toasted almonds and chocolate sauce.
You could say it was pretty amazing. I did.
Grilled fruit reminds me of warm pie. The fruit is soft, sweet and warm. It’s just a perfect dessert without all the fuss in the kitchen.
You could serve this over pre-made pound cake or angel food cake. Top it with vanilla ice cream or granola. The possibilities are endless.
Whatever you do, I hope that you are getting out this summer and enjoying the great weather!
Fresh Fruit is great for grilling in the summer. Grill up some Apricots and enjoy this wonderful dessert!
- 6 - 10 Apricots
- Vegetable Oil
- Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- Chocolate Syrup
- Heat your grill, cook your dinner, and clean the grate prior to grilling the fruit.
- Place sliced almonds into a pan and toast at 325 for 3 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Slice the apricots in half and brush on some vegetable oil. Sprinkle a little bit brown sugar just to add some flavor and some caramelizing without coating them.
- Place the apricot halves over medium heat cut side down. Leave them in place for 30 seconds to a minute depending on how hot the grill it and how thick your apricots are. Flip them over and grill the skin for 30 seconds.
- Remove them from the grill and allow to cool while preparing the whipped cream.
- Whip the cream with a mixer until thickened. Slowly add the sugar to sweeten. Continue whipping until thick.
- Top the apricots with the toasted almonds, whipped cream and chocolate syrup and serve.