Grilled Apricot Ice Cream in Homemade Waffle Bowls – Day One – Grilled Apricots
For me, this is the most wonderful time of the year! With fresh fruits abundant in the markets, it’s a great time to dig in and make some fantastic fruit desserts. Last year I commented somewhere that I had never had a fresh apricot. Dried ones, yes! I love them and have them often. But I had never had a fresh one. So, to alleviate that discrepancy, I bought a huge tray of them from Costco to enjoy. I grilled about half the bunch and used them to make ice cream. It was fantastic!
Grilling fruit isn’t rocket science. I’ve grilled peaches and pineapples as well.
I think that it all comes down to the toppings. Chocolate,Caramel, and Honey are always good toppings. So are nuts, crunchy candies and whipped cream.
So, I decided to go with a pretty simple topping of sweetened whipped cream, some toasted almonds and chocolate sauce.
You could say it was pretty amazing. I did.
Grilled fruit reminds me of warm pie. The fruit is soft, sweet and warm. It’s just a perfect dessert without all the fuss in the kitchen.
You could serve this over pre-made pound cake or angel food cake. Top it with vanilla ice cream or granola. The possibilities are endless.
Whatever you do, I hope that you are getting out this summer and enjoying the great weather!
- 6 - 10 Apricots
- Vegetable Oil
- Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- ¼ cup Sugar
- Chocolate Syrup
- Heat your grill, cook your dinner, and clean the grate prior to grilling the fruit.
- Place sliced almonds into a pan and toast at 325 for 3 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Slice the apricots in half and brush on some vegetable oil. Sprinkle a little bit brown sugar just to add some flavor and some caramelizing without coating them.
- Place the apricot halves over medium heat cut side down. Leave them in place for 30 seconds to a minute depending on how hot the grill it and how thick your apricots are. Flip them over and grill the skin for 30 seconds.
- Remove them from the grill and allow to cool while preparing the whipped cream.
- Whip the cream with a mixer until thickened. Slowly add the sugar to sweeten. Continue whipping until thick.
- Top the apricots with the toasted almonds, whipped cream and chocolate syrup and serve.